mardi 10 novembre 2009

Mon Café à Moi

So, remember when I said I boycotted “my” local café because they changed owners and the service became crap? Well, when I saw a big “Changement de Direction” sign and a new name on the café, I was intrigued. I walked in this weekend and was greeted with an almost overeager, overfriendly service. WTF? What the heck happened here? Friendly service? In Paris? In my formerly beloved café that has let me down so much that I couldn’t set foot within for 2 years?! I could actually feel a real EFFORT to satisfy the clients. What a concept! The former owners are back!

I had a surprisingly good day, starting with a visit to the “Prefecture de Police” to get my visa renewed. It has been an ordeal so far but I was pleasantly surprised when I got a “recipissé de demande” after only half an hour. Although I will have to go back in December (I sent in my application in August, mind you) to get my real visa, at least I have an extension of my visa now.

After class, I had an interview / meeting with my new boss at the restaurant. Although it doesn’t have any Michelin stars, it seems to have a pretty good reputation. The chef kept insisting that I must show my motivation all the time…which will be difficult – especially when I’m dead on my feet. While it is pretty exciting to be starting a new adventure, it’s also a bit scary. The chef seems to have high expectations and I’ll be working many many hours. Very tough, especially for me – I’m used to sitting on my a** at least 14 hrs a day - and I’ll only have Sunday and Monday off so my social life will really take a real hit…

Anyway, the best news of the day is: I was in a good mood so I walked in to “my” café, and lo and behold who do I get reunited with but the famous barman from my first months in Paris. He even recognized me and introduced me to everyone as an old, loyal client! I guess I must have spent a lot of money or made a big impression there in the past… I had only planned to spend 15 minutes max there but an older gentleman bought me some drinks and I ended up chatting it up with them like old friends for an hour an a half. Why oh why do I finally start feeling like I fit in when I am getting ready to leave??

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire