jeudi 5 novembre 2009

Is This It?

I’m getting tired of getting sick so often. The incessant coughing definitely dampens my cuteness factor… Being ill and yet another restless night probably didn’t help me in our first day of solo-cheffing: 6 different types of “crudités” and a cheese soufflé.

I’m not sure if it was the fatigue, my general yucky state or just pure clumsiness, but I was a complete kitchen catastrophe today. I almost cut myself shredding veggies (thankfully, no injuries yet – knock on wood!) and kept bumping into inanimate objects, kind of like when I’m driving. How embarrassing to be the last person to finish, and still have to redo a botched Mornay sauce (béchamel, egg yolks and gruyère cheese). The chef and a classmate even had to help get me back on track to finish the soufflé batter in time.

What a tough day to have right after I re-motivated myself after a short vacation. Although my neighbor said I overmixed the batter and was so slow that my egg whites were deflating, I was relieved to see that my baby soufflé DID rise and didn’t even taste half bad!

I’m not really sure if I’m ready to start an internship so soon, since I can’t seem to escape the bottom of the class. I mean, what do they expect from an almost-CPA? ; ) The chef placed me at a Michelin-cited seafood restaurant in the Latin Quarter for a 10-week internship starting in a week and a half. If I succeed, someone will be very well fed. If not, he’ll just have to eat my famous instant noodles while I mope over an episode of Gray’s Anatomy. Watch out, little fishies!

1 commentaire:

  1. who are the little fishies?

    I love you, Ann; and I love your blog. How come I feel such affinity with a "foodie?" (yum yum)...

    caro

    RépondreSupprimer