mardi 27 avril 2010

Amazingly Addicting Carrot Cake


Lately I feel somewhat like a wandering minstrel, moving from town to town every few days, except my true art is simply displaying what has been called an “extraordinary” (read: “maybe you should go on a diet”) appetite for such a small girl. Hey, I can’t help it if I’m always hungry! Thanks to my piggyness, those around me tend to find themselves with a constant supply of baked treats – some successful, others less so… (see the crazy frosting in the picture?)

Whenever I’m feeling a bit restless, bored, happy, sad or whatever’s in between, my favorite thing to do is to get in the kitchen and make a BIG MESS (or alternatively, pour myself a large glass of something…like milk. Ha!).
One of my favorite “beat-whatever’s-ailin’-ya” treats is Belinda’s amazingly addicting carrot cake. I mean, before I tasted this slice of springy tender deliciousness, I didn’t even know I had a weak spot for carrot cake, much less a frosted one!

Due to popular demand, here is the precious recipe. Once you try it, you will never go back to boxed mixes (yes, I loved them too) and won’t even be able to stomach the thought of spending mucho euros/dollars/pounds/etc. on a store-bought version again!

"C’est un gâteau à se damner! "


** Carrot Cake **

Ingredients :
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups oil

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon

3 cups carrots, grated (approx. 3 large carrots)

Icing

Technique:
1. Peel and grate the carrots. Reserve. Grease a baking tin (a loaf pan works well) and preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F.
2. Preparing the wet ingredients: In a [large] bowl, whisk the eggs until just light and fluffy. Slowly mix in the sugar in small batches, then add the oil.
3. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon) in a separate bowl.
4. Pour the egg mixture (wet ingredients) into the dry ingredient mixture in small batches, combining well without beating.
5. Fold in the grated carrots using a rubber spatula.
6. Pour the batter into the baking tin. Bake for approx. 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the tin before removing. You can add your favorite icing to the top of the cake when cooled.

Ya-mi! Enjoy!

Note: If the middle of your cake collapses like mine did the first few (ahem!) times, it may be undercooked. Also, make sure not to open the oven door before half the baking time has elapsed. When you do check on it, do so while the tin is still in the oven, to avoid knocking the cake around before it’s had time to set. Oh, and don’t slam the oven door!

2 commentaires:

  1. Nice Ann! But I am lazy to make one... reserve one of yr carrot cakes for me next time =)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Haha, seems that's the consensus. No problem - will do!

    RépondreSupprimer